Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Lion in Winter

My charming mother recommended that I in turn recommend The Lion in Winter (1968) for those interested in a cinematic depiction of Henry II and his dysfunctional family. It stars Katharine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole as Eleanor and Henry and my word, is that a young Anthony Hopkins as an equally young Richard the Lionheart? Why, I do believe it is!

There is also a version done in 2003 which stars Patrick Stewart and Glenn Close. I cannot attest to its quality, having not seen it, but dude. Patrick Stewart.

To top off the Henry II movie smorgasbord, I inform you of Becket (1964), which I have also not seen. But it managed to net a few Oscar nominations for best acting and the award for best screenplay, so what the hell. It stars Peter O'Toole as Henry (what, again?) and Richard Burton as Thomas Becket.

But yes. See the first on the list, definitely, if you don't have an unnatural prejudice against old movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment